Barley soup is healthy and quick to make. If you want to try the soup, we have a recipe with step by step instructions for you here.
Barley Soup: You will need these ingredients
Barley soup is a hearty dish that used to be eaten mainly by the poor. This is due to the pearl barley: these are made from barley (sometimes also from wheat), which was previously considered unpretentious. Pearl barley is peeled and ground, making it easily digestible. They also contain little fat.
Barley soup is home cooking – the soup is usually prepared with beef. We will show you a vegetarian version instead. For four servings you need:
- 200 g pearl barley
- 2 to 3 carrots
- 3 potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- big onion
- 1.5 liters vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper
Tip: The vegetables you need for the soup can be obtained locally. For example, you can stop at a weekly market in your area. You will definitely find potatoes, carrots and onions there. Of course, if you have a garden, you can also grow vegetables yourself. This is how it is done:
You should include the remaining ingredients organic-Buy quality. Organic products are less polluted and more sustainable in cultivation.
Prepare barley soup: Here’s how
The preparation of barley soup is not difficult. Plan about 45 minutes for this.
- Wash the pearl barley first. Put them in a colander and run cold water over them. Then pour them into a saucepan.
- Boil a liter of water and pour it over the pearl barley. Add a pinch of salt and let them cook over low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile you can clean the carrots and cut them into pieces. Peel the onion and garlic and chop both finely.
- Peel a squash, grate it and cut it into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a second pot and sauté the onion and garlic in it.
- Then add the carrots and potatoes and sauté briefly.
- Toss the vegetables with the vegetable broth. Bring the soup to a boil and let it boil for a quarter of an hour.
- As a last step, add the pearl barley and season the soup with salt and pepper. Enjoy your meal!
Read more at Utopia.de:
** marked with ** or orange underlined Some links to sources of supply are affiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.de, because we then receive a small part of the income from the sale. More information.
Do you like this post?
Thank you for your vote!