© Getty Images / Westend61
Lentils have many positive effects on well-being and health, they taste good and are versatile. Lentils are an important source of protein, especially for vegetarians and vegans. The colorful legumes are also full of important ingredients. These five reasons talk about lentils in every kitchen.
1. Lentils – a provider of vitamins and a healthy immune booster
Lentils provide many important ingredients and thus support the immune system:
- Vitamin B1: People are not able to store a lot of vitamin B1. Lentils are an excellent source of vitamin B1. The vitamin supports metabolic processes and affects the regeneration of the nervous system after illness. Vitamin B1 is said to strengthen the immune system, especially in older women.
- Niacin or Vitamin B3: Among other things, the vitamin contributes to maintaining a healthy skin structure and mucous membranes. In addition, niacin can reduce fatigue and tiredness. Like vitamin B1, it also affects the metabolism and supports the nervous system.
- Vitamin B6: Vitamin B6 supports various hormonal activities and has a positive effect on the immune system.
- folic acid: It also belongs to the B vitamins and supports the formation and regeneration of cells, as well as the formation of mucous membranes and blood cells and also accelerates metabolic processes. The body needs folic acid, especially during pregnancy, to be able to develop the nervous system of the unborn child.
In addition to the various B vitamins, lentils also have a variety of minerals. They contain potassium, magnesium and phosphorus. They also supply the body with iron, manganese, nickel, selenium and zinc.
2. Lentils are friends of healthy blood sugar
Lentils have a lot of valuable dietary fiber. Among other things, they are responsible for the low growth of blood sugar because they have a low glycemic index (GI). The GI indicates how much the carbohydrates in food increase the blood sugar. Regular consumption can reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and keep blood sugar fluctuations low in those who are already ill.
3. Delicious filling – lenses in all variants
Delicious, easy to prepare and a perfect filling: thanks to the carbohydrates, high protein content and a lot of usable fiber, the feeling of satiety lasts a long time. Blood sugar rises steadily and slowly, which can prevent subsequent cravings.
4. Protein supplier: Lentils are full of protein
Dried lentils are an important source of protein for vegetarians and vegans. Plant-based foods contain a variety of different amino acids, the basic building block of protein. Lentils are particularly impressive due to the lysine, while the legumes have only a small amount of methionine and cysteine. In combination with grain products, the body receives all the important proteins.
5. Lenses – perfect for the figure
Lenses have a high energy density. In terms of quantity, however, lentils have few calories and thus help you lose weight or maintain your figure. In addition, legumes contain very little fat.
Cook with lentils
Lentils can be used in many ways: In winter they are delicious especially in hot stews and soups. The recipe for healthy slow soup can be found here.
Author: Alexandra Maul, News Editor