Vegan fish sauce consists of purely plant-based ingredients and tastes very aromatic. We will show you a simple vegan recipe for the Asian spicy sauce.
Fish sauce is a traditional Southeast Asian condiment made from fermented fish. Fish sauce is an important part of many traditional dishes there, especially in Thai and Vietnamese cuisine. The intensely fragrant sauce gives the dishes their typical character umami gustowhich is described as meaty, tasty or spicy.
But there are also plant-based foods that have a human taste. Examples are soy sauce, shiitake mushrooms, misopasto or seaweed. On this basis, you can also mimic the taste of the spicy fish sauce with only vegetable ingredients. Because the fish sauce is very salty, it will keep in the fridge for several weeks.
Make your own vegan fish sauce: the recipe
Vegan Fish Sauce
- Preparation: about 10 minutes
- Cooking / baking time: about 25 minutes
- Crowd: 0.3 liters
dried shiitake mushrooms
Tamari (or soy sauce)
Cut the nori leaves into rough strips and boil them in water along with the dried shiitake mushrooms, salt and sugar.
Let the mixture cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until reduced by about half.
Pour the mixture through a sieve to filter the nori leaves and dried shiitake mushrooms.
Pour the liquid back into the pan and add the tamari (alternatively regular soy sauce) and misopaste. Let the mixture boil for another 5 minutes and then set aside. Parentheses: Tamari is a traditional type of soy sauce that usually contains no wheat other than fermented soybeans, so it is gluten-free. Tamari has a slightly more intense flavor, but conventional soy sauce works just as well.
Pour the completely cooled vegan fish sauce into an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for at least a month.
No-Fish Sauce: Tips for Doing It
- Notice: If you don’t have shiitake mushrooms on hand, you can use nori leaves to make the vegan fish sauce. The misopasto is also not absolutely necessary for the recipe. Both ingredients round out the taste of the fishless sauce.
- Fish sauce with additional flavors: Some recipe varieties of fish sauce use fresh garlic. For a particularly intense aroma, you can boil three halved garlic cloves with the seaweed and mushrooms. Optionally, you can refine the sauce with fresh chilli and some rice vinegar, which are also cooked. You need to remove the garlic and the pepper, as well as the mushrooms, and the seaweed afterwards.
- Organic quality ingredients: When buying ingredients, be as careful as possible organic seal. This is how you ensure that no chemical synthesis pesticides enter your food and into the environment and support one organic farming.
Read more at Utopia.de:
** marked with ** or orange underlined Some links to sources of supply are affiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.de, because we then receive a small part of the income from the sale. More information.
Do you like this post?
Thank you for your vote!