Vegetable stock is indispensable for almost all soups and sauces: It’s easy and healthy to make and preserve – with no flavor enhancers.
Vegetable stock – base without flavor enhancers
Prepared broth cubes often consist mostly of chemical components flavor enhancers. If you cook your own stock, you can be absolutely sure that it is free of unnecessary and unhealthy ingredients. We therefore recommend purchasing the ingredients in organic quality. This is not only better for your health, but also allows you to use the valuable shells for certain ingredients.
As the word fond suggests (French for essence, base), it serves as a base for many dishes, especially soups and sauces. In German, the term is often used synonymously with broth, as both are similar. The broth is usually a by-product of cooking a dish, while the ingredients are completely boiled while making stock. In addition, stock as a commodity is not salty.
In another article we will tell you how you can make pasta yourself as a base for a vegetable broth.
Make your own vegetable stock – recipe
To make yourself about 2 liters of vegetable stock, you need the following ingredients:
- 400 g carrots
- 1 leek
- 1 slice, about 150 g celery
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 laurel leaves
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 2 keys
- 8 sprigs of parsley
- 2 stems thyme
- some olive oil
- Wash the carrots and leeks well.
- Peel the onions, celery and garlic. Cut everything into rings or medium-sized pieces. Tip: Crush the garlic with a wide knife or spoon. In another article you can read about how to make your own organic waste can be reused.
- Saute the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat with a little olive oil until the onions are translucent (about 4-5 minutes).
- Now add 2.5 liters of hot water and let it boil with the vegetables. Reduce heat and let it all boil for about an hour.
- Now add the herbs and spices: bay leaves, peppercorns, calories, thyme and the parsley stalks to the pot and cook again at low temperature for about 30 minutes.
- When the stock is ready, strain it through a fine sieve or cotton cloth.
keep the vegetable storage
Meanwhile, you can decide whether you want to keep the stock in screw-down jars or freeze it. Keeped cool and protected from light in jars, it can be stored for several months. But you can also insert it freezers or freeze ice cubes in parts.
If you decide to use the glasses, you should use them immediately before you fill them sterilize. You should put the finished stock hot in the screwed jars fill it, twist it a little and turn it upside down. This creates a vacuum during cooling that tightens the lid. When the jars have cooled, you can firmly screw them on.
If you prefer to freeze the stock, let it cool before portioning.
Tip: The vegetable scraps emitted most of the flavor, but are too good to discard. You can clean them, add fresh vegetables and cook creamy vegetable soup.
Read more about Utopia:
** marked with ** or orange underlined Some links to sources of supply are affiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.de, because we then receive a small part of the income from the sale. More information.
Do you like this post?
Thank you for your vote!